In Excel, you can display numbers as currency by using Currency format or Accounting format. You can format the numbers in a cell, range of cells, multiple nonadjacent cells, or ranges of cells all at once. To format the numbers, do the following:
- On the worksheet, select the cells, range of cell, multiple nonadjacent cells, ranges of cells that you want to format.
- On the Home tab, in the Number group, do one of the following:
▫ To format the numbers with default currency symbol, click drop-down arrow of the Format Number box, and then click Currency or Accounting in the list.
Or you can click the Accounting Number Format button .
▫ To display the numbers with other currency symbol types, click drop-down arrow of Accounting Number Format, and then click the currency format that you want.
To select the currency format that is not available in the Accounting Number Format list, click More Accounting Formats in the Account Number Format list or click More Number Formats in the Number Format box. You can also click Dialog Box Launcher next to Number. In the Format Cells dialog box, in the Category box, click Currency or Accounting. Select the currency symbol that you want to use, in the Symbol box, and type or select the number of decimal places that you want to specify, in the Decimal places box. And lastly, click Ok button to apply these formats.
-If you format a number with the Currency format, you can select the negative number type for the number. But, in the Accounting format, you cannot because the Negative number box is not provided.
- When you select the number in the active cell, it displays in the Sample box so that you can preview the number with the format options that you select.
- To change the default currency symbol in Microsoft Office Excel and other Microsoft Office application, you need to change the default regional currency setting in Control Panel. Do the following:
(For window 7)
1. Click Start button, and then click Control Panel.
2. Under Adjust your computer's setting, click Region and Language.
3. In the Region and Language dialog box, click Additional Settings button.
4. In the Customize Format dialog box, click Currency tab.
5. In the Currency symbol combo box, select the currency symbol that you want.
6. Click Ok button.
Note that the Accounting Number Format button image does not change immediately. However, when you click this button, the currency symbol that you choose will be applied.
- To reset the number format, do the following:
1. Select the cell, range of cells, multiple nonadjacent cells, ranges of cells.
2. Click General in the Number Format box, in the Number group of the Home tab or in the Category box, on the Number tab of the Format Cells dialog box.
This website intents to provide free and high quality tutorials, examples, exercises and solutions, questions and answers of programming and scripting languages: