In the tab, there are two options:
- Locked: Select this check box to lock selected cells to prevent changing, moving , resizing or deleting.
- Hidden: Select this check box to hide a formula in a selected cell, so it does not display in the formula bar when the cell is selected.
The options above effect to the selected cells until you protect the worksheet. To lock the worksheet, do the following:
- Right-click the sheet tab that you wan to protect.
- Click Protect Sheet on the shortcut menu.
- Or on the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Protect Sheet button.
The Protect Sheet dialog box displays allowing you to enter the password to lock the worksheet.
- Enter the password in the box, and the click Ok button.
The Confirm Password dialog appears that needs you to retype the protected password.
- Reenter the password, and then click OK button.
For example, you want to prevent changing, moving, and deleting data in the cells (A2, B2, and C2) and you also don't want someone see a formula the cell C2.
To do this task, do the following:
1. Select all cells on the worksheet by clicking the upper left corner of the worksheet .
2. On the Home tab, in the Font group, click Font launcher or you can do other ways to open the Format Cells dialog box.
3. On the Format Cells dialog box, click Protection tab, then uncheck Locked check box, and then click Ok button.
4. Select A2, B2, and C2, then open the Format Cells dialog box again, and then check Locked and Hidden check boxes, and then click Ok button.
5. Lock the worksheet, follow the instruction of protecting worksheet above.
- By default, Excel locks all cells on the worksheet. If you do not uncheck the Locked check box, all cells are locked when the worksheet is protected.
- If you want to remove the password from the worksheet, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click the sheet tab that you wan to unprotect.
2. Click Unprotect Sheet on the shortcut menu. Or on the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Unprotect Sheet button.
The Unprotect Sheet dialog box displays allowing you to enter the password to unlock the worksheet.
3. Enter the password that you use to lock the worksheet, and then click Ok button.
- If you lose or forget the password, it cannot be recovered. So, you should keep a list of passwords in a safe place. The passwords are case-sensitive.
This website intents to provide free and high quality tutorials, examples, exercises and solutions, questions and answers of programming and scripting languages: