Microsoft Access 2007 tutorial: Lookup wizard
IX. Lookup WizardThis wizard creates a lookup column, which displays a list of values you can choose from when you enter data into a table.
IX.1. Creating Value List Lookup WizardValue List Lookup wizard allows you to enter the values that you want them to display in Value List when you click lookup column. For instance, in tblemployee, sex field, you want to define F for female and M for male for choosing when you click column. To do so follow the instruction below:
- Open TblEmpoyee in Design View as figure:
- Where field sex click Lookup Wizard as figure above
Lookup Wizard dialog box appears:
- Choose the option as figure below
- Enter F and M values in the list
- Enter lookup column name --> Finish
Finally, Open TblEmployee to check the result
Note: Name of lookup wizard field is optional.
IX.2. Creating Lookup Wizard by Retrieving Data from a Table or QueryThis wizard allows you to take the values from existing field of table or query. For example, you want to get F and M values from existing sex field of TblCustomer. To implement example above do the following steps:
- From step one to three do the same creating value list lookup wizard
- Select this option
- Select TblCustomer table from the list
- Click Next and Select fields
- Click Next and Sort record as a figure
This dialog box allows you to sort records in ascending or descending order.
Note: The sorting records is optional.- ClickNext and click Finish
Finally, Open TblEmployee to check result.